What does the ACTF do?

The Australian Children’s Television Foundation (ACTF) performs a wide range of functions in children’s media, including:

  • investing in, and distributing, high-quality Australian children’s television, film and new media content;
  • being a voice in policy matters that relate to the industry or the child audience; and
  • developing high-quality multi-media resources for the education sector.

What is the ACTF's ABN number?

93 005 986 952

Can I get an internship (as a tertiary student) at the ACTF?

We offer one marketing or public relations internship per year through RMIT’s School of Media and Communications. 

The ACTF occasionally offers internships in development and/or script writing, depending on the projects we are involved in at the time. If you are looking for an internship in development and/or script writing, contact Bernadette O’Mahony, Head of Development and Production, for further details.

Can I get work experience (as a high school student) at the ACTF?

Thinking about your work experience for next year?

We’re currently taking applications for year 10 work experience in 2018! During your week with us (unpaid), you can learn about the ACTF’s role in developing and promoting children's television, discover the process of developing a project from script to screen and (of course) meet all the colourful characters in our office in Fitzroy, Melbourne!

To apply, please send an email to info@actf.com.au with the following:

- A bit about yourself and your interests
- Why you’d like to do work experience at the ACTF
- Your school name and preferred working dates

Can I send you my script to read?

The best way to obtain our support for your project is to submit it in one of the four annual rounds of the Project Development Funding Program. The Program provides funds to assist with the development of children's projects. Examples of the ways in which ACTF development funding has been used include holding writers' workshops, preparing more extensive concept bibles and/or writing a sample script. The Program is designed to assist writers and producers in preparing materials to take to the market.

Please note that unsolicited scripts, except for those submitted via the Program, will be returned unread.

Can my school copy a program off-air?

Yes, provided you have a Screenrights Licence, you may copy off-air for educational purposes. This includes copying programs to keep in the library, or to show to students as part of a class. Further details can be found on the Screenrights website. Please note that Screenrights licences do not cover the copying of DVDs.

Does the ACTF employ writers, freelance crew or actors?

The ACTF does not directly hire cast and crew for production work. We occasionally hire writers or script editors to assist with a project we have invested in. Writers who would like to be considered for this type of work can send their CVs to Bernadette O'Mahony, Head of Development and Production.

Does the ACTF provide production investment?

Have a look at the Funding Section of our website, which details the kinds of funding the ACTF offers.

How do I become an actor?

We've put together a handy step-by-step guide for you to be shooting for the stars in no time! 

Interested in becoming an actor?

  • Start by doing lots of amateur acting or sign up for your school’s drama class
  • Keep an eye out for open casting calls in newspapers or online
  • If you’re really keen, you should get a reputable agent (The Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance has a list of agents on its website and may be able to offer further advice).
  • Watch lots of TV/theatre performances/films and be inspired by your favourite actors
  • Never give up!

How do I make a complaint about inappropriate television programs for children on TV?

You should contact the broadcaster directly to complain about the program. Information about lodging a complaint with a commercial television station is available on the Free TV Australia website. If you want to complain to the ABC, you can send a letter to ABC Audience and Consumer Affairs, GPO Box 9994, in the capital city of your State or Territory, or by making your complaint through the ABC website. If your complaint is about a pay-television channel, we recommend contacting the Australian Subscription Television and Radio Association to get appropriate advice and contacts for the complaint. Once you've complained to the broadcaster, if you're not happy with its answer, or you don't receive a reply within 60 days, you can take your complaint to the Australian Media and Communications Authority, by using the form linked at the bottom of this page.

I have purchased an ACTF DVD for school use. What am I allowed to do with it?

The purchase price of Standard School-Use DVDs includes a licence to use within the school for educational purposes. The School-Use DVD must not be copied or uploaded to a centralized system, hard drive, the internet or shared with the public. If you wish to upload the School-Use DVD to a centralized system or hard drive within the school (like Clickview) you must purchase a Premium licence version of the School-Use DVD.

Neither the School-Use DVD nor any copies (nor any part of them) may be provided to anyone outside of the school for which the DVD was bought. You must not copy a School-Use DVD or upload a School-Use DVD or any part of it to exchanges that are shared with other schools, or to the internet.

Please contact the ACTF to obtain a Premium Licence.

I have purchased an ACTF Digital Download file. What am I allowed to do with it?

The purchase price of digital file includes a licence to use within the school for educational purposes. The digital file or copies of the digital file (nor any part of them) may not be provided to anyone outside of the school for which the digital file was bought. You must not copy a digital file or upload a digital file or any part of it to exchanges that are shared with other schools, or to the internet.

If I have purchased an ACTF DVD for home use, what am I allowed to do with it?

All you can do is watch it at home! You can't copy a Home-Use DVD; even for personal use; and you must not make it available to anyone outside of your home.

If our school has purchased an ACTF DVD or DVD-ROM, are we allowed to upload it to the school's hard drive or Clickview for distribution throughout our school?

Yes, but only if you have purchased a Premium School-Use DVD or a Premium Educational DVD-ROM from the ACTF. The Premium version includes a licence to upload it to a hard drive or to Clickview for use by the school for which it was purchased.

You must not share a School-Use DVD or Educational DVD-ROM with other schools, or anyone outside your school.

Please contact the ACTF to obtain a Premium Licence.

If our school has purchased an ACTF educational DVD-ROM, are we allowed to copy it and distribute it throughout our school?

No. The purchase price of a Standard Educational DVD-ROM does not include a general licence to copy the DVD-ROM for educational use by the school. However, purchase of a Premium licence version includes a licence to upload the DVD-ROM to a centralized system or hard drive. You must not make the Educational DVD-ROM (or a copy) or any part of it available outside the school, including to other schools.

You may make modifications to the Educational DVD-ROM's components, such as amending a worksheet or changing the format of a clip. Any such modification remains the property of the ACTF and must be treated like an original component of the Educational DVD-ROM.

If you make hardcopy printouts of the Educational DVD-ROM, such as by printing worksheets or an image contained within the resource, all copies should be recorded and reported to the Copyright Agency Limited, just as you would report a photocopy of an article from a journal.

Please contact the ACTF to obtain a Premium Licence.

What are the payment options for schools when ordering DVDs or other resources?

You can pay by cheque, Mastercard, Visa or PayPal

Where can I find more information about Kahootz software?

Kahootz is no longer supported for PC or Mac operating systems and is no longer available for sale.

Where do I get advice about making programs that can be classified C or P?

The Children's Television Standards set out the criteria for the C (children's) or P (preschoolers') classifications. The Australian Communications and Media Authority (the ACMA) administers the C and P classifications. For more information, visit: Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA)

  • Children's Television Standards
  • ACMA guide to the Children's Television Standards
  • ABC Code of Practice – C and P classifications only apply to content shown on commercial free-to-air broadcasters (Seven, Nine and Ten). Children's and preschool content shown on the ABC is rated G.
  • Who can I speak to about my great idea for a children's television program?

    The ACTF provides four rounds of the Script Development Funding Program per year, during which writers and producers are invited to submit their projects for ACTF investment. This is a great way to get some feedback on your project. Please note that we require submitted projects to be more advanced than just an "idea". You can also check out the types of support available from Screen Australia, or your State or Territory's screen funding body, such as Film Victoria.

    Why is there a price difference for the ACTF's Home-Use and School-Use DVDs?

    School-Use DVDs are more expensive than a Home-Use DVD as they are seen by many more people. A Home-Use DVD is only licensed for home use, not for screening in an educational institution to a larger audience. Please note that schools may not purchase Home-Use DVDs for use within schools.